So... today is day two of my new found adventure of writing a blog about recipes I get from health magazines and telling you, the readers whether or not healthy food really tastes good. This one is all about steak and pepper tacos out of the February 2010 Fitness magazine. You can get this recipe by going to www.fitnessmagazing.com. I highly recommend this recipe giving it 5 stars as you my say. From the words of my gay work husband, "It was FABULOUS!"
I do have to be honest about a few things, 1.) My mother, being an amazing cook, probably even better than me ( saying that because she'll probably read this) had to prepare this recipe due to the fact that I got called into work. I can guarantee she followed the steps, tweaking the recipe a bit as I informed her to do. 2.) I tweaked the recipe a bit. I had a similar main ingredient already thawing in the fridge.... elk steak. As you home cooks know sometimes you've gotta just use what you have. I can guarantee this recipe would still be amazing if you used the flank or hanger steak it called for. In the future to change it up a bit I'd even use chicken, shrimp, fish or scallops. That would take this dish from 5 stars to 6! 3.) I really don't like fajitas, and this being similar to that wowed me, so you know it had to be good. You could taste each ingredient as it's own, but at the same time they all work together to create a fiesta on your palate. The charred peppers, onions, avocado and corn brought out a sweetness fighting off the spiciness of the jalapenos and chile powder. The lime juice not only tenderized the meat but brought out the freshness of each item, and the corn tortillas tied everything together with a smooth savory flavor.
I paired this meal with a Cabernet Sauvignon from Cali. making this great dish even better as most wines do. What makes this dish even healthier is you have no need for a side dish, having your veggies and carbs built into it!! Just be aware, you'll want to scarf down more than a serving size because its soooooo good so drink lots of water and treat yourself to some fruit to feel your belly.
This dish is great for having dinner parties and your guest won't even know it's healthy for them too.... that will be our little secret or the topic of conversation while eating this increditable meal!!!
Thank you and remember I'm not a writer so please forgive me for the incorrect spelling and grammer! And PLEASE PARTICIPATE IN THE DONATIONS TO HELP HAITI TOMARROW... GOD BLESS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment